Last 5 posts

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One Egg; One MugCake

Well, that rarely happens, as I was left with just one egg in the box. What was it's significance? Was it trying to tell me something? How would it end? Like a good murder mystery; it kept prodding me the entire day, whenever I would open my fridge. Finally, I decided to make something out of it... A French Toast was the obvious choice, but then, I didn't want to sacrifice my solitary egg, waging it's lone battle, on just bread...

After searching the world wide web, I came across THIS. I was curious, after reading the almost-never ending comments. Would it blast? Would it char? Would it burn? Would is taste any good? Putting a rest to all the rumours in my head, I got together some materials and got on to make, probably the simplest dessert ever...

1 Microwave-safe Ceramic Coffee Mug (Bigger the better, you have no idea, how much it'll rise..)
1 Egg (room temperature)
1 tbsp Salted Butter (soften it first)
1 tbsp Flour
1 tbsp Bournvita (The recipe asked for Chocolate/Cocoa Powder; I had none; this was handy)
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Milk
Some Vanilla
Pinch of Baking Powder
Bournvita is a Chocolate-flavoured Malt-based Milk Additive. 

Now, in the link, the everything was just put together, stirred ferociously by hand and put inside the microwave. My first attempt was terrible, resulting in overtly-creamy, super sweet, mass of flour (Wrong proportions, entirely).

For the second attempt, I used a small mixer jar.
First, I put in my egg and sugar, and creamed it well.. Microwave doesn't melt the sugar in just 3-4 minutes, so it needs to be well done here.

Then I added the Molten butter and Vanilla. Mix some more.

Then add, Flour and Bournvita with the pinch of Baking Powder.

Now check the consistency of the batter. It should a thinner than the usual cake batter. Add Milk as per desired.

Now, No need to butter the Mug. Just pour the batter into the Mug, and put in the Microwave for 750W for 4 Minutes. The original recipe has 1000W for 3 minutes. My Microwave has 750W as the highest setting, so I increased the time.

Watch it rise, rise, and rise above the rim to spill over, but don't worry; It'll settle down, after you open the Microwave door.
Let it cool down on a wire-rack. While it is warm, make a deep cross-cut in the mug, dividing the entire cylinder of cake in 4 parts. Pour over any dressing, Chocolate, Vanilla, Butterscotch or just plain Ice-cream. Watch it seep deep inside the abyss of the cake, and now devour..

Now, clarifying some mistakes/rumours/myths about microwave and this mugcake. First of all, Microwaves don't explode, on their own. Yes, if you put an egg inside, or heat a plastic container with air-tight lid; Yes, the egg will surely explode and the lid would probably blow off the container, spilling everything inside. In both the cases, the interiors of your microwave would be a mess..

Make sure the mug you take is a Microwave safe mug. Check it on the bottom. The microwave safe mug would be painted with colours, containing no iron; therefore making it safe. Any other mugs might not explode, but surely have the danger of poisoning by colour.
To clean any mess, just take a big microwave safe bowl, put water in it, and squeeze a lemon's juice and throw the left over lemon also in it. Put it in the microwave, and let get heated at the highest and for about 10 minutes. After sometime, remove the bowl, and clean the inside with dry towel paper... All the dirt, grim, oil stains, blasted egg remains, all juts vanish, and oven smells nice too...

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com