Last 5 posts

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Indian Lentils : Photo-by-photo

Time for another healthy, Indian side perfect with my Daily Tiffin... It's a spiced-mixed-lentil-soup... What I have is the entire process, in images, and a caption to do with it.. I hope it helps...

Soaking the Lentils. I took 1 part each of Arhar, Masoor, Moong.. and soaked them in water for a couple of hours.

Now to temper it, we would be needing, Cumin Seeds, chopped Onions, Curry Leaves, Chopped Tomatoes.

Now heat oil in a Pressure Cooker. When heated enough, add the Curry leaves, Cumin Seeds and let them temper and fly around. Then add Onions. And let them brown a bit.

When the Onions are sautéed well, tumble in the chopped Tomatoes..

Then here's a concoction of Salt, Turmeric and Red Chillies. Add it to the Onion-Tomato mixture.

Now add the soaken-lentils and 4 times the water..

Put the lid of the pressure cooker on, wait till the whistle blows. Then turn the heat to slow and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. and let it stand till it cools down.


 Add fresh lemon juice and chopped coriander, for that near perfection... Served hot with Daily Tiffin.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to try this tomorrow if I get back home in time! need to get on to some healthy eating. Especially after a weekend gorging on papri's rajma chawal for dinner saturday night. followed by her awesome-ly spicy anda curry kalkatte waali and retouched kaddu waale punjabi chhole for lunch thanks to mridul and me! of and did i mention we ran out of oil and were lazy to go down get it, so it was all ghee? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the comment after a week, hadn't put any email for comment notification.. how silly of me..

    I would say ghee is better than oil...

    ReplyDelete

www.flickr.com